Saturday, August 5, 2017

Low riding- yet again


Back to playing Ibanez but the RGD this time round. The volume & tone pots are heading towards death, it seems. I made it a point to spray them periodically (contact cleaner) even when I don't play this guitar but some things are expendable. 

This guitar is tuned to C# & strung with a set of 11s. Despite the thicker string gauge, I managed to set this guitar up for a comfortable riff/lead application. Every time I take this RGD321 out for a workout, I learned something new. This time, it's how lower tunings react to drive. I observed that such a tuning benefits greatly with a slightly more treble end spike in terms of EQ to promote clarity. It helps if the pickups contribute in this address & on that note, active units fare better than passive ones. If this is in place, whatever distortion/drive units are added to the chain, it'll most probably work out rather than hearing ill definition. 

For my case, I still prefer passive pickups because dealing with active units mean the instrument is destined to be a one-trick pony. The Seymour Duncan Dimebucker here has a prickly midrange response & the overall tone evens out with lower tuning. It is therefore constructive to read up on what a pickup offers in terms of tone before committing it into your instrument. 

No comments: