Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Thank you & goodbye

PIC: CNA

Exactly this time last night, former President of Singapore, SR Nathan, passed away.

I used to frequent the East Coast beach when I was younger (OK, not that young, it was a post-NS blues period), cycling from one end of the stretch to the other, watching the sun set at times. Mr. Nathan loved to jog there & he was often seen with his bodyguards who kept a distance but within proximity to exercise  contingencies, of course. I cycled past him once, I waved at him & he returned the wave. I didn't even call out to him, just a simple gesture & he reciprocated it. I remember Mr. Nathan for this brief encounter, it is forever etched in my mind. Clearly, there was no ego getting in the way, someone waved to him & he returned the wave. He was not obliged to do so, especially to complete strangers but he did it anyway; a great down-to-earth attitude we could all learn from. For that, he earned my respect.

RIP, sir. Thank you for all you've done for the people.

No comments: