Thursday, January 3, 2013

Simple attraction: Gibson's Js

I'm kinda OK with the new (2013)  'J' models by Gibson (depicted above- LPJ/SGJ), in fact, I find them fundamentally attractive. We have to backtrack to the BFG days to see something this basic, arguably bare-bones Gibsons for the taking. The purists will shun this, to them these are pariah instruments, a tragic removal of aesthetics in an attempt to let the common people embrace 'Gibson'. I see that as disrespect. If the manufacturer has something in their catalogues to settle Gibson heretics like me, it should be deemed as a commercial triumph. I should consider one of them, then. OK maybe both.

PS: Those are not active humbuckers, simply covered passive units.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it, especially the LPJ Chocolate. What humbies would you put in there? A Dimarzio Norton in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck? Or maybe a Custom 5 in the bridge and a 59 in the neck for Duncan fans?

subversion.sg said...

Hmm... I might just give it a Tesla treatment :-)

Reuel Tan said...

ah thanks for making the fonts easier to read sub! much appreciated! the SG looks rather inviting...wonder how thick its neck will be...

subversion.sg said...

50s profile, bro :-)

Unknown said...

i like your words of this one sub! youre a smart man