Thursday, June 4, 2009

Remembering my ex...

My ex-girlfriend? Nah... my ex-amp, more like it. If you have to feel good about owning affordable practice amps, you should consider Marshall's mini stack (the MG15MSII depicted above). The stack nature of this baby is a definitely visual attraction per se but when it comes to amps, tone is priority for me- this stack has plenty of attractive tones to work with.

Thanks largely to the closed back cabs, the amps sound full with lots of good bottom end to spare, please keep in mind that cabs equipped with smaller drivers (less than 12") sound very shrieky when lots of overdrive/ distortion come into play. The MG15MSII managed to avoid this repulsion, the reason I bought it.

If you have kids at home, especially the curious ones who would go very near your amp & handle it while you're not looking, be mindful that this stacked unit topples over very easily. When it was in my possession, I placed it very near the wall so the chances of it tumbling over when pushed by any Godzilla Jr would be eliminated. If you have other means to secure it, please do so...

Others in pic:
  • my 18yr old RG560
  • Ibanez TS9

No comments: